Guide in Correction of Errors in Your Birth Certificate

What’s the most common document that is required in almost every important transaction? Yes, you’re right! It’s no other than our birth certificates.

But what if that document has typographical errors or anything happens to that certain piece of paper that might affect its validity, can you do something to correct it? Yes, of course, there is but on the other hand, it cost some money and a lot of time to spend to resolve.
Good thing, there are certain ways to help with the basic solution to the usual erroneous entries on your birth certificate.

Common Errors:


If the given record of the NSO is blurry, you can go to your local civil registrar and request for a new clearer copy. But, if the civil registrar and NSO copy are both blurred you can still file a petition to correct certain errors.

Wrong Spelling

Given names or even one single name can be the same for the world’s population and some people makes their child’s name a unique twist which is a good thing but sometimes harder to spell out that happens when it in encoded. A lot of things might happen resulting to this common error, but you can also file a petition to correct these clerical errors.

No First Name, No Middle Name, No Last Name,

If this important information is missing, you can file a supplementary report for the missing entries.

Special Cases for No Middle Name

1. For legitimate child

The parent can file a supplemental report for the child who lacks any missing entries and they are required to give a reason for the failure to give the information during the birth.

2. If an illegitimate child, but is acknowledged by the father

In this case, the child is acknowledged by the father but the middle name is removed, the possible solution is to file a supplementary report for the omitted entry. The last name of the child’s mother will be used as the middle name.

3. If an illegitimate child, but is not acknowledged by the father

If the father of the children didn’t him/her there’s no need for a middle name. The child will use the mother’s last name as his/her own.

4. Different from the middle name written in the birth certificate

A petition can be filed to change this error. This is only applicable if the middle name of the child didn’t match the mother’s last name.

5. Incorrect middle names of both mother and the child

If both middle names are incorrect, they can file a petition on the Trial Court where the civil registry is found. This is not a clerical error and must be corrected administratively. The lawyer might require the petitioner to keep any documents that maybe used to support the petition.

6. Interchanged Middle name and Last name

No need to file a petition in court. It is just a clerical error that is easier to resolve.

7. The compound middle names

For example, your middle name is Dela Vega, you don’t need to use the two first letters of the middle name but you will use “D” alone.

Special Cases

Anyone born before August 3, 1988, can use the father’s last name if both the mother and the father acknowledged him/her.

A child can only use the last name of any of the parents who acknowledge him/her.

If a child uses the mother’s last name with the father’s acknowledgment inauthentic writings, the child can use his/her father’s last name.

If the mother’s last name is used by the child, but the father acknowledged the child and insist him/her to carry the father’s surname, the father must file an affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father in the civil register where it is filed.

Any Private Handwritten Instrument presented by the father can be used to certify that he allows the child to use his last name.

Any birth certificate that is not yet registered but is acknowledged by the father at the back of the document allows and let the child use the father’s last name.
Given names specifically “Baby boy” and “Baby girl” that was born before 1993 is considered disregarded and needs a supplemental report. A petition should be filled with this entry.

Who can file?

The person who owns the birth certificate or any authorized representative such as the relatives or friends and other persons authorized by the law can file for the petitions only if the owner if not capable or a minor.

Where to file?

The petitioner can file the petition to the local civil registry office where the birth certificate is registered. If the petitioner was born abroad, they can seek help on the Philippines Consulate Office where he/she is born.

Documents needed:

-Certified machine copy of the birth certificate
-Two public or private document such as voter’s affidavit or baptismal certificate


Indigent petitioners are exempted to the service fees.
The civil registry may require other documents as proof.